Starts high, and slowly bends higher over about 3-5 seconds.
For a long time, I thought it was distressed squirrels, but they are usually quiet at night. It all started at night, when open windows in the woods invited a full orchestra of nature's players and singers.
Then we started thinking more judiciously, and ruled out rodents. We were open to the idea that the many barred owls in the area have to mate, and maybe that crazy sound was coming from a nest.
But then, the sound started to be heard during the day. And never really from the same exact place.
So, I decided I would locate the source. It took a few weeks (I didn't try too hard at first), and finally saw one of the two critters responsible for this.
Today, Hannah and I stumbled out with the binoculars to inspect more closely. At one point, the two babes shared a tree within about 30 feet of hunting mama. They are big, but still quite a bit smaller than the adult barred owls who frequent our place. And fuzzy. Unlike the adults, who betray no care for our presence, these kids follow us with their huge eyes and dance to try to focus.
I am holding out hope that it is such things that will prevail when she is called to live in the "civilized" world, you know, the city. Overcrowded and rhymes with shi....never mind.
Maybe she will think of the animal preserve she once called home from time to time and long for it. But then, I am just sappy enough to believe memories more powerful than the smoke and mirrors of highly populated human containment zones.
No comments:
Post a Comment